Being ethical is at the core of what we do. Find out what ethical and responsible banking means for UniBank, and our members.
Consumers these days expect companies to be ethical. In a world of greenwash, credentials count.
At UniBank we’re proof that a bank can be both profitable and socially responsible – and financial security doesn’t mean sacrificing values.
Our values – Advocacy, Passion and Sustainability – are the drivers behind our commitment to operate as a world leading ethical business.
Being named one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies® six years in a row is one of the ways we can live up to this. In 2021, only four other banks in the world were recognised.
It’s only by setting ourselves tough standards, that we can be the most socially responsible bank in Australia.
What we do
- We pioneered $1 billion of responsible investment as the first bank in Australia to certify wholesale funds, the first based on fossil fuel exclusion.
- We are the only Australian bank with retail deposits, mortgages, and wholesale funding all certified as responsible.
- We report on our environment, social and governance (ESG) performance annually across 85 targets and KPIs.
- 55 external performance results highlight our consistency and excellence practice social responsibility.
- We have strict social responsibility exclusion criteria in our lending. These exclusions mean we won’t provide funding where ‘the primary purpose of the entity or business is alcohol, armaments, correctional facilities, cryptocurrency, deforestation or gross environmental degradation, gambling, military activities, political activities, pornography, slavery, tobacco or uranium.'
- No political donations; we do not donate, give gifts or employee or management time, to support political candidates or political organisations.
- As a member of the Global Alliance on Banking on Values (GABV), we adhere to its Principles of Values-based banking, which establishes a triple bottom line approach at the heart of the business model.
- We support the UN Sustainable Finance Roadmap for Australia, designed to reset the $10 trillion sector to a sustainable future.
- The Bank strives for excellence and international leadership in its business practices and its Mission states that ‘The Bank will operate in an ethically, socially and environmentally responsible manner.’
- A socially responsible and service culture has been integral to the Bank’s operations since our founding in 1964.